Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Day in the Life of an Auditor

I just got back to my hotel room from a client that I have been working on today. I am sitting on my bed writing this and taking in the tasks I have ahead of me this week. My brain has been pumped full of compliance publications and policies and I don't think I can shove another ounce of information in there at this moment.

I have to look at the big picture here. My job apparently is a big deal. I have never really stepped back to look at, but it is. Have you ever heard of an unemployed accountant? (The few exceptions out there are more than likely extreme and brought on by those who are in fact unemployed). Do you really care about this? You should.

My profession is the basis of all business in this country. You name it, an accountant is right behind it. I might add that I'm in public accounting. I have to say this that is a totally different beast all its own. Not only do we need to know our industry we are working for, we have to know how each one operates; this includes all the accounting systems (imagine you work on 15 clients all year- each one has a different accounting system and I have to know how to use it! I should be an IT expert by the time I retire), the laws and regulations residing over each client, accounting treatments established by FASB and GASB (for those who meddle with not-for profit and governmental entities---I would be included in this group) and not to mention all the personnel at each client!

My fellow co-workers and I are exhausted with what we have ahead of us this week. The thing is next week won't make it go away. I do have a responsibility to get things done on time with top of the line accuracy.

Pressure is the game and I play it all the time but I wouldn't change it for the world.

0 comments: